Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Since it's such a nice day out..


This past weekend I was sick. We're not talking just the sniffles here, I mean really sick. Which means that I didn't get to make anything or try anything really cool this weekend. You can interpret that as either a good thing or a bad thing, it doesn't matter to me. So instead of telling you a story about what happened to me over the weekend in my cooking escapades, I'm just going to tell you about one of my favorite restaurants in Lafayette, McCord's Candies.




The name can be a little bit deceiving. Yes, they make candies. However, they make other food, too. This place is in downtown Lafayette, again. (To be honest with you, I hadn't been to campus that much before last semester. I tended to stick to my own side of town rather than venturing over into the unknown.) However, it is really not that far from campus. If you're in the mood for a little exercise, this place is easily accessible. It's just a little bit aways beyond the walking bridge. Sort of, if you know your way downtown. In the best interest of keeping this a good idea in your head, downtown Lafayette isn't all that big. So if you're afraid that you're going to be wandering around aimlessly for hours, don't be.




McCord's, as I call it, decor is straight out of the past. It seriously has Coca Cola wallpaper on the walls. You can eat either upstairs or downstairs, whichever you prefer. I prefer the upstairs, because if you sit near the edge of the balcony, you can watch those that are downstairs. I've been eating here since forever. It was one of my favorite places to eat as a kid, and it still is.




Now, about the food. They don't have anything extravagant like apricot chicken or anything. McCord's sells sandwiches, soups, salads, etc. I suggest the ham salad sandwich, or if you're feeling really adventurous, try the sandwich named the Bohemian. It's apparently ham salad and peanut butter. Don't ask me if it's good or not though, I've never tried it. I suppose that once I get there, I like to stick to what I usually get. Or maybe, I've just never felt THAT adventurous.




This place is pretty cheap, and they have really yummy desserts, too. They sell shakes and sundaes for dessert. I recommend the banana shake (made with real bananas, not the flavoring) or a tin roof sundae for dessert. However, they have many other choices that appeal to the taste buds, too.




You're probably wondering where the "candy" part comes in, right? Well, like I said, they do make their own candies. When you walk in, you have to walk through a small aisle to get to the seating areas. On one side of the aisle is where they make the food, on the other side is an endless array of chocolates, rock candy, and other sorts of deliciousness. Now, the candy is kind of expensive if you buy a lot of it. But let me tell you, it is definitely worth it. When I was little, my mom used to let me pick out two pieces of candy after lunch to take home. (Don't let me lie to you, she still buys me some candy before we leave. =) ) It was the highlight of the whole trip.


So, as I usually so before I end my blog, I'm going to suggest that you go here. Since it's really nice out, and it's supposed to be rainy and colder all week, I strongly suggest that you take a nice walk and go get yourself some candy.




Hours:


Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.


Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.


Sunday closed




Address: 536 Main Street


Lafayette, In 47901 **




** Just in case you don't feel like wandering around downtown, you can map quest it.








No comments:

Post a Comment