Thursday, February 5, 2009

Brrrrrrrrrr.



It's been cold this week. I'm talking zero degree weather here. (Don't worry, there's luck in the near future. It's supposed to be 53 degrees on Saturday!) In general, what food do many people think of when it's cold out? Well, if you're anything like half of America, then you must be thinking about soup. I was. Which is why I decided to make a nice bowl of soup the other day.




Well, it was a more of an "on a whim" decision. I was surfing the net, and I came along a picture of this really good looking soup. In all actuality, looking back, I think it looked appealing because I was hungry. I'm not usually a soup person. (Don't get me wrong, I like to enjoy a bowl of tomato soup and grilled cheese every now and then.) It just doesn't really appeal to me that much. I think it might be the liquidity of it all. Anyways, after contemplating on whether or not I should make the soup all during my ENTM 318 class, I decided to go for it.




On the way home from class, I stopped by the store and picked up the ingredients for the soup that I didn't already have. (I substituted broccoli for the celery, though. I absolutely hate celery. I think it tastes gross.) So, I go to my apartment, and start cooking the chicken. I am one of those people that always things that the meat that she is eating isn't cooked. Yeah, it's a little weird, but it's just one of those things. So I have to cook my meat for at least ten or fifteen minutes longer than I'm supposed to.
While that was cooking, I put most of the other ingredients into a different pot, and started to cook them. Once they were boiling, I put the FULLY cooked chicken in the pot with everything else. So, I'm waiting, and the mixture wasn't getting very soup like. It was still pretty liquidy. So, I decided to add some flour to thicken it up. I add some, wait a few minutes, and stir the mix again. I believe that I was right in putting the flour in. I turn of the heat, and let it set for a few minutes. I come back to the kitchen to get myself a bowl, and the mixture isn't very soup like anymore. It's almost like a casserole. Apparently I had added too much flour.
Ok, so too much flour is something that I can deal with. So, I take my first bite, and this soup concoction that I made is....absolutely disgusting. It doesn't even taste a little bit good. So, there went my dinner and some of my money down the drain. It's ok. I'll get over it. No big deal. However, I think that I have a problem with following directions. So, my advice for the future is: definitely to follow directions; and the pictures most likely always look better than in reality.

1 comment:

  1. I looked at the recipe, and it's the addition of the corn that freaks me out. I've been looking for a good cream of chicken and rice soup... but I guess this isn't it. : )

    ReplyDelete