Friday, April 3, 2009

Ooey Gooey Chocolate Caramel Cake


Well, that's at least what my sister calls it. ( I'm referring to the title.) My mom started making this a long time ago. It's one of my personal favorites. That must mean it's pretty spectacular. I'm not really sure where the recipe came from, or what it's actually called though.



The other night I went to my mom's for dinner, and I decided to make this cake for dessert. It's really quite simple. All you have to know how to do is mix up a boxed cake mix and bake it basically. ( Well, that, and know how to open jars.) First, you take a box of devil's food cake mix and prepare it accordingly. Next you have to bake it in the over for the directed amount of time. After it is cooked, let it set outside of the oven for about ten or fifteen minutes.



This is where the fun part comes in. Once it is cool enough to touch, take the end of a wooden spoon and poke about a million holes in the cake. This is a really good way to take out all your frustrations. Next, take a jar of caramel sauce (the kind used on ice cream sundaes) and pour it all over the cake. After you are done with that, you take a can of sweetened condensed milk and do the same exact thing. The reason we poked holes in the cake is so that these ingredients can soak down into the cake.



After you have done this, put the cake into the refrigerator to cool completely. This is necessary for when you put a container of Cool Whip on the top, or else it will melt. After it's cooled, (this will probably take about an hour in the refrigerator) ice the cake with a container of Cool Whip. This is the final step. It is best if you serve the cake cold, so keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat it or serve it.

2 comments:

  1. My mom makes the same sort of thing, it is something simple and easy and always tastes good.

    I love deserts in general so this has spiked my appetite and i think since I'm going home this weekend i will have my mom make it for me lol.

    Actually my mom has already planned for this and is making me my favorite pie, homemade black raspberry pie. It is one of the most amazing things i have ever had and then not only does she just bakes it but tops it off by adding ice cream to the top. YUMM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved baking. I made something like this once except I made the cake from scratch and in addition to the dulce de leche, I topped it with chocolate and then when I served the cake I spread whipped cream on it along with sliced strawberries, raspberries, and other fruit. It's pretty good, but my favorite things to make are Choux a la Creme (basically cream puffs but with a vanilla custard filling instead of whipped cream) and Boston Cream cake except I substitute the pudding filling with a vanilla custard filling and then I spread chocolate custard on the outside. It's pretty darn delicious.

    ReplyDelete